Wednesday, October 10, 2012

31 days: on books

Pin It
I am joining the Nester plus quite a few other bloggers in a 31 day writing challenge. You can write about whatever you want, and I choose to write on the search for a Spirit-led life. Join me, won't you?

To start reading from the beginning, and for links for all days, click here.



On books
 

Today I'd like to share with you some of my favorite Christian books. These are books that in some way shaped my faith and helped me to understand a bit more about how to have a Spirit-led life.
 
Don't get me wrong, the lessons here have not been thoroughly learned. I've gotten into the habit of re-reading books after a while (in some cases, a very short while) in order to let more of its goodness sink in:
 
Joanna Weaver's Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World - For anyone who thinks they need to do, do, do, please, please, please, achieve, achieve, achieve, impress, impress, impress. Even if those things seem to be for the right reasons, such as over dedicating yourself to your church. I've read this book a couple of times, as every so often I seem to fall back into the trap of becoming a Martha.
 
Pete Wilson's Empty Promises - I've mentioned Pete's name quite a few times in this little blog. The reason for that is that I loved, loved, loved this book. It talks about all sorts of things we fall for: power, money, dreams and much, much more, that end up becoming an idol in our lives. I had one idol in mind when I bought this book, but I was actually quite surprised to see I struggle with most of the ones he talks about to a certain degree. Some were so well hidden that I didn't know were a problem until I read this book!
 
Stormie Omartian's The Power of a Praying Wife - I had read The Power of a Praying Woman and found it so helpful to a new Christian as myself, who often didn't know how to pray. A couple of years later, I bought this book just because. It turns out that it took my prayer life to another level, and brought me to pray things over my husband I didn't even know I could or should!
 
C.S. Lewis'  Mere Christianity - A staple of every modern Christian. I read this while still struggling with a lot of Biblical concepts, and trying to figure things out while a lot of it still seemed backwards according to the way of life I was brought up. Life changing.
 
What about you, do you have any books to recommend?